Monday 11 May 2020

native birds

Fantail
  • Fantails are the most common native bird that you will see walking about.
  • In maori language fantails name is piwakawaka.
  • Fantails favorite food is insects.

Kiwi
  • They use their beak to smell out food.
  • So kiwis actually sleep during the day and start their day at night.
  • There are only 68,000 kiwis left.

Kea
  • The kea is a parrot belonging to New Zealand.
  • It lives in the south islands Mountains
  • They are called the Clown of the Mountains because they are very cheeky and can steal peoples stuff sometimes

Kereru
  • A kereru is sometimes called New Zealands Wood Pigeon
  • Kereru are very big birds, in fact they are the biggest pigeon in the world.
  • Kereru's favourite food is fruits off of native plants.

Tui
  • Tui have these things under their neck called wattles.
  • Tui like to eat nectar, fruit and insects.
  • Tui usually lay 3-4 eggs

Hoiho

  • The hoiho is also called the Yellow Eyed Penguin
  • The hoiho is the 4th largest penguin in the world
  • Their favourite foods are medium sized fish and squid

5 comments:

  1. Hi Aiden
    You have done some amazing work on researching our native birds. I like that you have put a photo of each bird so the reader can see what they look like. We have lots of Fantails at our house, there are very friendly birds. Which one of these birds is your favourite and why?
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Aiden,

    you have gone above and beyond to find information about 6 birds. I like how you have included a picture with each bird. When you are doing your blog post, check that all the words are on the white page, so that it is formatted correctly. Next time I want you to write the facts in your own words.

    Which bird is your favourite?

    Miss Hart

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aiden. I really like the facts about Kiwi's because the are New Zealand best known bird. did you know We're losing 2% of our kiwis every year. that is 20 Kiwis a week.
    Can you please make another one i really liked this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stevie-lee I might make another post about birds which birds would you like me to write about?
      But i did,t know that fact about kiwis.

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post